Because you strive to do your best. Renew your commitment today.
Renewing your ABO certification is about more than simply a renewal process. It’s about the high standard you hold yourself to and your dedication to excellence.
Renew your board certification today and never stop pursuing your commitment to lifelong learning.
Renewal certification is required every 10 years for all board certified orthodontists, unless you have lifetime certification.
Certification Renewal Examination (Time-Limited Certifications):
The certification renewal process may be started no earlier than 36 months prior to the expiration date printed on the board certified orthodontist’s certificate. A new certificate will be awarded stating an expiration date of ten (10) years from the original expiration date, regardless of when the renewal process is completed.
Successful completion of this exam is required to maintain Board Certification status.
Voluntary Certification Renewal Examination (Lifetime Certifications):
All lifetime board certified orthodontists are encouraged to voluntarily renew their certification. This is a requirement for all lifetime board certified orthodontists before they are eligible to act as an ABO Examiner and/or ABO Director.
Online Board Case Exam (BCE) Option
- Complete one (1) online Board Case Examination as provided by the board:
- 50 multiple choice questions
- 90-minute time limit
- Complete Continuing Education Credits from four (4) online AJO-DO exams:
- Select four (4) AJO-DO publications from the available list via the AAO Website
- Complete each exam (consisting of 16 true/false questions) – each exam costs $20, payable to the AAO (see details below)
- Submit your earned CE credits to the ABO – email to ABO Renewals
Log in to your ABO Account and begin your examination at any time.
Mail-In Option - Case Report Examination (CRE)
- Case Report Examination (CRE) for one (1) case with a DI of ten (10) or greater submitted by mail. Patient source requirements:
- One (1) case treated by the examinee from their clinical practice.
- Case must be initiated within one's current certification time frame or within the past ten years.
- Full-time orthodontic educators who have met all other requirements, may present a case that the educator directly supervised while teaching within a CODA-approved orthodontic program. The supervised case may not include a case that has been, or will be, presented to the ABO by a resident of the orthodontic program.
- Continuing Education Credits from online AJO-DO articles:
Utilize the BCE Study Guide to help you prepare for the examination.
After registering for your Certification Renewal Exam, you will be provided with a promotional code to waive the fee for your AJO-DO exams. The ABO will accept Continuing Education Credits for AJO-DO Exams completed within the 36-months prior to your certification expiration, however if you choose not to take advantage of the promotional code available after registration for your Certification Renewal Exam, or choose to complete your AJO-DO Exams prior to registering for your Certification Renewal, the ABO will not offer any refunds or credits for those exams. For further details, please review Exam Policies.
You will earn three (3) CE Credits for each passed test. Proof of these 12 CE Credits will satisfy your online CE component for your certification renewal. Please email a copy of your CE credits earned by the end of your examination period.
To begin the Continuing Education portion and access the tests, click here.
*Certification Renewal examinees who are not AAO members should contact firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain a temporary 2-week membership for completion of AJO-DO Exams. During the 2-week window examinees will be required to register for and complete all required exams as well as download the CE Certificates as proof of completion for submission to the ABO. After this window the temporary account will be disabled and CE Certificates will no longer be available.
Certification Renewal Examination Process
Board certified orthodontists completing certification renewal will receive a certificate, ABO Educational Toolkit and sample materials. If certification renewal is scheduled prior to the certification expiration date, any time remaining will be added to the expiration date of the new certificate.
The Certification Renewal Exam is required to be taken every ten years and may be retaken as often as needed as long as the current certificate is unexpired. A fee will be charged for each re-examination.
A Lifetime Board Certified Orthodontist may re-examine for the Voluntary Certification Renewal as many times as desired. There will be a nominal fee for each examination.